Martin John Bullivant NAPA, Ll.B DipSocAdmin DipAppSocStudies CQSW
Born 24th January 1959, Preston, Lancs
Married, two children, two grandchildren
Studio Telephone: +44 (0)1622 884615
Address for correspondence: 3 Barn Cottages Swanton Farm Bicknor Sitttingbourne Kent ME9 8AT
1967-77, de la Salle College, Jersey, 11 ‘O’ Levels.3 ‘A’ Levels (English Literature, History, Politics)
1977-80: University of Warwick: Honours Degree in Law (Ll.B)
1981-83: University of Southampton: Diploma in Social Administration, Diploma in Applied Social Studies, Certificate of Qualification in Social Work
DEVELOPMENT AS AN ARTIST
I began painting seriously in my mid 20’s. I began selling my work soon afterwards, and exhibited in both Jersey and London with Mulgrave Galleries, in addition to other Galleries in Chichester, Southampton, and Greater Manchester.
I developed (and continue to develop) on a self trained basis through private study, observation of other painters’ work, and through the constructive comments of other artists, gallery proprietors and clients.
For some years I pursued a career in social work and social policy, painting in the evenings and at weekends, as time permitted. Then at the age of 44 my life circumstances changed enabling me to pursue my long held ambition to become a full-time painter. This enabled me to take my commercial success to a higher level commensurate with being able to paint full time.
Since turning professional I have sold many hundreds of paintings, almost all of them scenes of the Jersey coast, though I have also produced abstract and scenes from France and Spain. I usually have a waiting list for commissions, and am very pleased that several luxury prestigious hotels in Jersey whose commitment to fine dining has earned several Michelin stars, have also sought out several of my paintings to complement the ambiance of their premises.
Since pursuing painting on a full time basis I have sold many hundreds of paintings and have taken part in specific exhibitions, both solo and mixed. Private & corporate clients have asked for specific commissions. In addition to consistent general sales of my work, I would highlight the following main landmarks:
- July 2004: Participating Artist, Studio 18 Summer Exhibition
- Two paintings bought by Leslie Norman & Co (Accountants)
- December 2004: Participating Artist, Studio 18 Christmas Exhibition
- May 2005: Art in the Frame Foundation’s Exhibition: ‘Blue- Where the Sky Meets the sea and the Shore’
- June 2005: 8 large Paintings purchased by the Huggler Group as part of refurbishment of Spa Hotel & Michelin starred Bohemia Restaurant
- September 2005: View of La Pulente from le Braye bought by UBS (United Bank of Switzerland).
- December 2005: Commissioned by Multiple Sclerosis Society) to provide artwork.
- July 2005: Participating Artist, Studio 18 Summer Exhibition.
- Approached by MC Art, (Art Consultants, London) to provide a commission for the foyer of the Atlantic Hotel, one of Jersey’s most prestigious hotels. This means that all Michelin Starred resturants in Jersey feature my paintings as part of the fine dining experience.
- December 2005: Participating Artist, Studio 18 Christmas Exhibition
- March 2006: Commissioned by Trevillian Interiors to produce a series of 11 large paintings for the Hotel L’Horizon
- June 2006: Participating Artist, Studio 18 Summer Exhibition
- October 2006: Solo Exhibition, entitled ‘Intimate Horizons’ at Studio 18, featured on BBC TV South West, BBC Radio and other media
- December 2006: Participating Artist, Studio 18 Christmas Exhibition
- Article on my work with full interview published in ‘Indulgent Traveller’ magazine
- October 2006: Elected a member of NAPA (National Acrylic Painters’ Association)
- Spring 2007: Commissioned by multinational leading legal outsourcing company CPA Global to furnish their new Global Head Office with a series of large contemporary marine landscapes.
- September 2007: ‘Blue’ exhibition, The Harbour Gallery.
- Spring 2008: Commissioned by multi-national legal firm Walkers Legal Services to supply nine large marine landscapes for their new offshore offices in Jersey
- Mid 2008: Several pieces collected by senior figures in the offshore legal sector
- Throughout 2008-2010 I took a sabbatical from exhibitions, to focus on painting numerous commissions and individual works for galleries.
- August 2011: commenced programme of private individualised painting tuition for all levels and abilities throught the Art In The Frame Foundation
- October 2011: Only painter to exhibit in ‘Media Melange’ a mixed media exhibition at The Harbour Gallery, St Aubin, Jersey
- November 2011-February 2012: featured in several articles in the local media, following publicity surrounding the relocation of my Studio
- December 2011: Studio 18 Christmas exhibition
- March 2012: relocated my studio to Kent
- Solo exhibition at Studio 18 entitled “Journeyman”. A very considerable commercial success.
- Autumn 2014: A further solo exhibition is planned at Studio 18, Jersey
I have a particular interest in the techniques of old masters (Turner, Rembrandt and the Impressionists) as well as more modern painters, especially Ken Howard RA, Fred Cuming RA John Yardley, Ian Houston, Tina Morgan SWA, John Hammond NAPA, Trevor Chamberlain ROI, SMA and Edward Seago. I paint almost exclusively in acrylic on hand primed board, seeking to capture the feel and ambiance of a landscape or seascape. My aim is not only to paint a picture that looks like its subject, but also to create a painting that causes the viewer to feel that they are in that place. This requires careful observation, a commitment to draughtsmanship, colour theory and composition.